Advising Foreign Nationals on Starting a Business in the United States *In-Person Only at D.C. Bar*
July 18, 2019
Credits: 6.0 Credit Hours
Description: Attend this informative and thought-provoking class to learn about the key issues you need to know to advise foreign nationals on setting up a small to medium sized business in the United States. During the morning session, our experienced faculty will focus on tax and corporate structure advice for foreign nationals. During the afternoon session they will discuss immigration and business strategy issues. Those who attend this class will learn more about the following topics and more.
Part 1: Corporate Formation and Tax Issues
- Assisting foreign nationals in forming a corporation
- Corporate tax and individual tax implications
- Business investment scenarios for small, medium, and large businesses
- Type of organizational structure – sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, or C corporation
- Investor and corporate due diligence when acquiring an existing U.S. business
- U.S. tax residency concerns
- What income is subject to U.S. taxation
- Strategic business considerations when entering the U.S. market.
Part 2: Business Strategy and Immigration Issues
- Business visitor, intra-company transferee, and investor visas.
- How long do these visa applications take and what can your client do in the meantime?
- Preparing and filing visa applications: In-depth overview of the L-1, E-1, and E-2 visa categories, including what documents are required for each category, common areas of concern, and strategies on timing
- How to respond if the government requests more information
- Bringing family members and others to the United States
- Getting a green card.
- Andy Finkle, Maggio Kattar Nahajzer + Alexander PC (moderator)
- Bryan Short, Effectus PLLC
- Max Riederer von Paar, Rubin, Winston, Diercks, Harris & Cooke LLP
Fee: $159 D.C. Bar Community
Members; $169 D.C. Bar Members; $179 Government and Non-profit Attorneys; $189
The D.C. Bar CLE Program now offers discounted group registration rates! For more information, contact the CLE Office at CLE@dcbar.org or 202-626-3488
Andrew Finkle, Maggio + Kattar
Bryan Short, Effectus PLLC
Maximilian Riederer Von Paar, Rubin Winston Diercks Harris & Cooke